- What is Virtual Drive's FTP Site Address?
ftp.virtualdrive.com. It provides a virtual FTP server to you. You can access all your Virtual Drive storage, including your own files, the folders shared by others, and even folders published by other Virtual Drive members.
- I am a Virtual Drive member, how do I log on Virtual Drive's FTP Site?
Using any third party FTP client software, connect to ftp.virtualdrive.com at the default port 21, and log on using your Virtual Drive user name and password; using Internet Explorer, you can enter: ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.virtualdrive.com/.
It is strongly recommended using Virtual Drive File Explorer as it has a lot more features than regular FTP.
- Can I upload / download my files using an FTP client? How to configure my FTP client?
Yes. You can access your Virtual Drive storage with any popular FTP clients, including CuteFTP, WS FTP, FileZilla, and others. To configure FTP clients, please enter the following info as needed:
FTP server: ftp.virtualdrive.com
Port number: 21
Username and password: your Virtual Drive user name / password;
Remote directory (optional): Unlike other FTP services where you only get a User Account/Directory, Virtual Drive gives you a virtual FTP server, so you can access the root folder. You can leave it blank or enter "/" as the root folder. You can also create your own folder on Virtual Drive and use that folder as the remote directory.
- How much does it cost to host my FTP site on Virtual Drive?
The basic service is FREE if you have a Virtual Drive account, your FTP service is already enabled. You can save substantially on FTP hardware, software and IT support. Check out our pricing & plans, and try out with 1GB free FTP space.
- What is the download limit on FTP access? Is there a limit on upload/download speed?
For premium users, the monthly download limit is 4 X storage subscription. It covers all downloads from Virtual Drive File Explorer, Web or FTP. Your monthly download bytes is reset to 0 on your billing date, which is the day-of-month when you register Virtual Drive account. If you need a lot more bandwidth, you might qualify for additional discounts. Please contact email@example.com for more details.
Virtual Drive has virtually unlimited network bandwidth, so theoretically the upload/download speed can be very fast. We limit download speed to less than 220KB/sec for free service users. For premium users, the maximum download speed is 400 to 600KB/sec. Please note if you have multiple users downloading your files at the same time, they will share the download bandwidth. We don't limit upload speed. However, your Internet Connection or your ISP might limit upload speed. The maximum upload speed for DSL or Cable Modem is about 25-40KB/sec, much slower than download speed. Using Virtual Drive File Explorer can significantly increase the transfer speed in some cases.
- What is the No.1 technical advice that users should know?
When accessing behind a NAT/firewall, please set FTP access mode
to PASSIVE(PASV). Since Microsoft command-line FTP doesn't support
passive mode, please use the FTP clients mentioned above.
- I am not a Virtual Drive user, and I have received a share notification e-mail from my friend. How can I access the shared folder through FTP?
Please read the share notification e-mail, you will find instructions there.
1. You can click on the share notification link, which gives you read-only or download only access to the shared files;
2. Sign up for a free Virtual Drive account using that email address; then login using your username and password. The shared files will appear in your account in a special folder: \VirtualDriveShare\OtherUserName\ShareName
To gain Write Access to the shared files/folders, you must use the second method.
- What access level will I have for a shared folder from a friend?
If you are not a Virtual Drive member, you will have read-only access to a shared folder, even
if the owner has authorized higher level of access to you. To access
at the authorized level, please sign up an account on Virtual Drive.
- Can I share a folder to one user with write permission, and another user with read-only permission?
Yes! You can login or use the Virtual Drive File Explorer, share the folder with "Full Access" permission to one user;
and then share the same folder to another user with read-only permission.
NOTE: you must use different share names when sharing the same folder twice.
To accesss a shared folder with write permission,
the user must be a Virtual Drive member. Otherwise, he/she will have read-only permission.
- Can I let everybody access my folder without an account and without logon? Can I create static URLs to be linked from eBay or MySpace, etc.?
Yes, but you must be a Premium Member or True Member. You can logon to https://virtualdrive.com or use the Virtual Drive File Explorer and
publish a folder. Once a folder is published, you can find "Publish URLs" to the folder and files in it.
Files in a published folder can be downloaded using the "Publish URLs" by any Internet users without an account.
See the questions below for more info.
- Can I create sub-accounts and manage those sub-accounts?
Yes, just login, click on My Account and then click on Group Account. You can upgrade your account to a Group Account for free.
You can then create sub-accounts. As a group owner or administrator, you can allocate storage space and bandwidth to your sub-accounts.
- Can I log on anonymously to access a published folder?
Yes, if you know the publisher's user name, which, let's say, is "Shane". Log
on with the user name "anonymous" and your e-mail address
as the password. Once connected, enter the folder "/Shane" ,
and you will see all the folders that Shane has published.
- Files in a published folder can also be accessed directly through a link like:
- How about security? Is your service secure for financial or healthcare industry?
Certain industries have higher security standards. Virtual Drive service has been built with highest
level of security features in this industry. Our File client software and backup
software both support SSL and encryted folder,
which guarantee that your data is secure both on transimission and stored in our data center.
Our data center is co-located with Hurricane Electric with 24x7x365 security.
Our FTP server also supports FTP over SSL. So if you use Virtual Drive service with SSL and file encryption,
it should meet almost all security requirements.